Monday, January 14, 2019

REFLECTIONS ON THE TWENTY-THIRD PSALM- Part One- A psalm about revival

Reflections on The Twenty Third Psalm: 
A PSALM ABOUT REVIVAL

Psalms 23:2 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

This favorite Psalm composed by the psalmist King David is beloved by millions of lovers of God throughout history. Though recited by heart, the powerful promises and truths contained in its verses, express more than just feel good statements. This poem contains hidden gems that eventually manifest in the condition of God-given revival. What's more, this type of revival originates out of the nature and function of the Lord as shepherd.

An in-depth examination of the ancient language and culture of this treasure offers great blessing to the seeking soul and those wanting to see a miraculous restorative, revival only found in Christ's character. But most significantly, David makes an amazing statement. "The Lord is my personal shepherd." Although the Great Shepherd oversees a humongous flock of sheep, He is intimately aware of YOU! He knows each sheep as if you were the only one He cared for. So often we forget this. In fact, everything He does is because He is mindful of YOUR personal needs. Dear one, don't allow the lies of rejection, or the fears of abandonment and worthlessness to blind you to this divine expression of love for YOU. David understood and trusted the Lord in this intimate exchange. He had a fear of God, a respect that fostered God's work of revival operating in his life. Let us build a renewed awe and fear of God, as the Shepherd, so that an atmosphere for revival can emerge.

In the next few weeks I'll be talking about specific verses in the Psalm that have come alive to me in new ways. I hope you'll follow along and read them because I believe these precious nuggets will touch your heart deeply and increase your faith for times to come. The Lord is MY shepherd.