Sunday, February 5, 2012

WHAT IS THAT TO YOU?

John 21:20 Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee? 21 Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? 22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. 23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? KJV


Over the course of the past few years I've been noticing a disturbing development in how people inside and outside of the Church meddle about each other. I've become increasingly uneasy over the attitudes and words of more and more individuals who I encounter that demonstrate a proud, hostile opinionatedness, accompanied by a sort of "spiritualized" right to criticize anyone that is found to be of a different interpretation of Scripture or behaves in a manner that the self-appointed critic, judges as unacceptable. I've witnessed and encountered these things with growing concern and am watching the pattern with prayerful awareness. The question I think we need to ask ourselves is this: Do we have the right to criticize fellow believers as they attempt to do their best in serving God, knowing full well that we all have feet of clay, live in this world though not of it, and we cannot see what's going on inside of the persons being censured? Yes, obviously there is an unending list of sins condemned in the Scriptures and each will reap their own consequences in due time. Nonetheless, if we're not seeing what the Bible describes as obvious crimes against God and humanity, do we possess the right to pass judgment on believers who may be genuinely trying to obey God according to what they know, even though how they do it grates against our personal belief systems and doctrinal stance? What's worse, do we then also have the right to determine what we think God should do with them, and they in him, as if we are spiritually superior to them?  Maybe this is just something that's stirring my heart but there seems to be an upheaval of self-righteous arrogance emerging in the name of supposed spirituality, and truthfully, it nauseates me. Should it really be any of our business what God is doing through and in our fellow Christian if it doesn't pertain to us or affect how we walk with God? I have come to seriously wonder about this.

1 Cor 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. 13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. KJV


 In John 21:20-23  Peter was obviously bothered about what John's destiny would be. The passage seems to suggest that Peter was possibly jealous, unnecessarily curious, or maybe even competing with John.  Jesus answered his question quite directly and in essence said "What concern is it of yours? You just follow me". There are various ministers I don't agree with or always feel good about. I may not like how they do things, I may think I could do things better, or I may judge them in what I "feel" is wrong, though not necessarily sinful. Is it honestly anything I have the right to be concerned about? Not really. My primary responsibility is to follow Christ to the best of my ability and let Him handle the ones I don't agree with. I don't know their hearts, nor do I know what God's bigger picture is in their lives. Furthermore, I am susceptible to falling just as much as they are!  That shakes me to the core! So rather than meddle or snoop into what they're doing, whether I deem it right or wrong, I have to remember what Jesus said to Peter. What is that to you! You might say, "Well God has shown me prophetically that they are at fault so I have the right to be angry and criticise them." Even if you might be spiritually enlightened and have gained insight into what they're doing you are also commanded to forgive and let God be the one who deals with them. You follow God! Be faithful to His call on your life and pray that His will be done in theirs without casting your opinions into the mix of the prayer. I believe that this mind is going to be increasingly necessary in the coming years. People who you trusted, followed, loved and even taught are going to choose to believe and do things that may lead them into deception. Rather than cast stones at them: pray for them. Any one of us is vulnerable. You follow Him and pray for those you love and those you are in doubts of. Who knows, your opinion could be wrong and your downfall could be lurking around the corner because of your pride. 

In the past 16 months God has dealt with my heart deeply about the need that we have for one another in the Body of Christ, even though there are huge differences in interpretation and expressions of our faith. You are connected to the Church and when one part of it hurts we all suffer. Ask the Lord about how can you stand in the gap for your brothers and sisters in Christ and allow Him to work out His plan for them! Lay the pride at the foot of the Cross. The work we need to do will not get accomplished if we're constantly criticizing each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am allowing comments for the next few weeks to determine whether these posts are helpful to you. I will not be involved in discussion or answering questions during this time due to insufficient time. I would ask that if you decide to comment that you practice respect for other readers and be considerate of what is godly, kind, and according to self-control. If I deem a comment is inappropriate I will delete it for the sake of those who read what is written.